Lighthouses in South West Scotland 3 November 2013

 

Killantringan Lighthouse from Southern Upand Way south West Scotland

There are four working lighthouses on the peninsula known as the Rhins of Galloway in South West Scotland. Most visitors head for the Mull of Galloway which is the best known and which is at the equivalent of Land`s End in Scotland.

At the northern tip of the Rhins of Galloway is Corsewall Lighthouse. While the lighthouse remains operational, the lighthouse buildings have been converted into an excellent hotel with delicious meals available. The Hotel enjoys magnificent views of the Mull of Kintyre, Arran, Northern Ireland and more besides. The area around the hotel is a mecca for bird watchers and a colony of seals can often be seen about a mile south of Corsewall Lighthouse. The Lighthouse is the oldest of the three “Stevenson” Lighthouses on the Rhins of Galloway. It was built by Robert Stevenson in 1817, 12 years prior to building the lighthouse at the Mull of Galloway.

Killantringan Lighthouse from Southern Upand Way south West Scotland

About half-way down the Rhins peninsula and a few miles north of Portpatrick is Killantringan Lighthouse. Here the lighthouse buildings are self-catering cottages but the light itself is still operational. Killantringan is named after St Ninian and the beach immediately to the north of the lighthouse and Larbrax Beach immediately to the north of Killantringan Beach are two of the best and most beautiful beaches in South West Scotland. This magnificent lighhouse is the latest for the three Stevenson Lighthouses. It was built by David Stevenson in 1900.

There is a small lighthouse in Portpatrick harbour however this is privately owned and the light, when lit, is purely ornamental. The original lighthouse in Portpatrick – used when Portpatrick was a major ferry port to Ireland was dismantled many years ago and shipped out to Sri Lanka where it is still working as far as we know.  When you look southwards from the cliffs at Portpatrick a light can be seen in the distance. Many visitors assume that this is from the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse, however they would be wrong! You can`t see the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse from Portpatrick – the light you see is form a small lighthouse at Crammag Head, a few miles to the north of the Mull. While this small lighthouse can be accessed on foot, the going is very rough and most will be content with driving past it as the minor road goes quite close.

Our final Lighthouse is at Scotland`s Lands end – The Mull of Galloway – the most southerly lighthouse and land in Scotland. The Mull of Galloway Lighthouse was built in 1830 by Robert Stevenson who, along with his descendants designed most of Scotland`s lighthouses. The lighthouse is easily reaches by car and there are even parking facilities for the disabled close to the entrance. The lighthouse tower is open to the public each weekend. There is a fascinating exhibition in one of the lighthouse buildings containing which contains a wealth of interesting information and artefacts relating to the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse including the original three Kelvin diesel engines fitted in 1955.

Apart from the lighthouse, there is a RSPB visitor centre at the Mull of Galloway and a coffee shop with excellent home made baking and food set right into the cliffs, complete with a grass roof and awesome views.

Comments are closed.